Question 1 Evaluation Draft

Our music video had two seperate established eviroments, each seting followed its own Mise-en-Scene. Our first setting was an office enviroment, we wanted to establish the mundane nature of office life. In an attempt to do this we kept the setting plain, pale and uninteresting, we wanted it to immediately show from the first frame the tired, morose and monotonous lifestyle that is established through the bright clinical lighting, desaturated picture format and a look of sorrow on the main characters face.
In the Mise-en-Scene of our second setting we wanted to establish the feeling of enuuie that we had made our main aim in presenting through the narrative of our story. To do this we graded the footage of our video to give it a soft and warm look reminisant of the soft expired film used to shoot many of our childhood memories on. Another choice of using the woods allowed us to use locations that were familiar to us as children and that we used to play in as young kids, again adding to the fator of enuuie. The use of soft focus throughout our music video also adds to the Mise-en-Scene as it establishes the rose tinted view of childhood given through adulthood and how only the positives remain in hindsight as respite from day to day life. Our flming is very conventional, following our inspiration from Wes Anderson as a director it meant we tried to incorporate lots of use of tripods throughout the opening minute of our video, this stability however, we wanted to disregard as the music became more hecic and became a fuller sound, this meant we transitioned to hand held filming for a lot of the music video, a common convention in alternative emo music, this also allowed us to show the mental instability of the main character through the use of camera shake, symbolising the tone of the song. These uses of camera are unconventional in traditional music videos, therefore making our music video stand out in comparison to conventional music videos.
My Digi-Pack juxtaposes the common conventions for the product. Instead of creating a traditional CD cover and format I instead chose to emulate the format and packaging of a cassette on my Digi-Pack. This is a divertion from the conventions that I had not seen before and that I felt helped symbolise the motif’s established in our music video. The use of a cassette formatting was to capture the same sense of nostalgia that we had played off in our music video, it relates back to the feelings of youthfull nostalgia listening to new demo tapes by your faveourite bands. I wanted this nostaligia to be throughout every piece I made for this courswork, and I have laden my Digi-Pack with nostalgic imagery. My front cover has been taken using my film camera, I noticed front covers taken with a film camera were a common convention used in most of the Digi-Packs that I looked at, this allowed me to both emulate and follow conventions of conventional CD Digi-Packs and yet also follow the continued theme of enuuie that I put forefront of my mind when creating my product. The nostalgia regarding the use of film, with its imperfect finishes and blemishes made it perfect for my front cover, showing the imperfections of life yet also with the warm and comforting tones that come about through the use of a warm 200 speed film showing the comforting and rose tinted outlook on childhood everyone has.

Comments

Popular Posts